Saturday 25 November 2017

Artist Residency


'BlueTurquoise' (85 x 95cm) at The Marriott, Canary Wharf
© Julie Umerle

I took up my artist residency at The Marriott in Canary Wharf last month. Exhibiting my work in a public space and outside of an exclusively art environment is an exciting undertaking. I am delighted to have this opportunity to engage with a new audience and to present my work within the context of a non-gallery setting - quite different to how my work is usually viewed.

The residency is very much a collaboration between myself and the staff at the hotel. After a great deal of preparation, measuring the space and considering our options, we began by hanging five paintings in the downstairs gallery. After all, this is the showcase for my project and it has to look impressive!

Then I was invited to hang a further twelve paintings in the upstairs lobbies, one painting on each floor. Right now, there are a further eight paintings at the hotel ready to be hung in the executive suites. This is an ongoing project and will evolve over the course of the residency. No doubt, the work will change too over the course of the year.

One of the best parts of the project is being made to feel so welcome by the staff and management who are genuinely interested in the paintings and each have their own favourite piece. It's a pleasure to welcome visitors and guests to see my paintings in this context.

I do hope that some of you will be able to see my work at The Marriott if you are in London. This is an exhibition that is open 24/7, with the light changing over the course of the day. So far, I have had some useful feedback.

I am very much enjoying the challenge that comes in working with a worldwide brand and no doubt will learn much from the experience going forward.

Location: London Marriott, 22 Hertsmere Road, Canary Wharf, London E14 

No comments: