Thursday 16 February 2017

Parsons School of Design

Excerpt from my memoir:


'Maze'. Oil and acrylic on canvas
© Julie Umerle

"I was happy with the direction my painting was taking and the way it had evolved. Most of my peers were supportive of my work but my paintings often received a mixed response from the faculty. I didn't mind the criticism. In fact, it helped keep me grounded and encouraged me to work harder.

One of the positive crits I received for my work was from Jerry Saltz, a visiting tutor who wrote for the Village Voice when I was a student and who is now senior art critic and columnist for New York Magazine. He was always very enthusiastic and encouraging about my work. He described one of my paintings as looking like 'fucked-up formica'. He certainly has a way with words but the simile was intended to be complimentary."

Excerpt from 'Art, Life and Everything', (unpublished memoir) by Julie Umerle, edited by Anna McNay.


To read further excerpts from my memoir, please see:

Copyright © Julie Umerle

No comments: