Saturday 1 October 2011

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who came to see my paintings at 'Unearthed' in September, and to my 'open' studio in May this year. As far as I'm concerned, a painting is only completed by the viewer - ie the painting doesn't exist without someone to see it - so I am always happy when I have a chance to put my paintings out there in the world, and open them up for others.

Still working on paper in the studio but getting a little restless now and ready to start painting on canvas again. If I've had time away from working large scale, I often feel quite inept when I start making big paintings again. However, that's not such a bad thing. It stops you from being complacent, and pushes you to do better.

There are some exciting exhibitions in London this autumn: amongst the best are 'Rothko in Britain' at the Whitechapel Art Gallery which began 8th September and is a show about a show, featuring just one Rothko painting, but a fascinating exhibition nonetheless. Gerhard Richter's 'Panorama' is another that is eagerly anticipated. This exhibition begins October 6th at Tate Modern and coincides with the artist's 80th birthday - can't wait to see this one. These artists are two of my favourite painters, and sure to inspire over the coming months. Essential viewing.


2 comments:

MalcO said...

Heeeey, gone onto yr site as u do not fb. Culture show last night had some American geezer Frank Stella? Wouldn't mind seeing thatin London, perhaps? But anyway, we have Bridgit Reilly, of Hackney!

Julie Umerle said...

Thanks for reminding me about Frank Stella show that started at Haunch of Venison yesterday - another must see.